Our team comprises of Mrs Fowler (teacher), Mrs Matthews (teacher), Mrs Ramsden, Mrs Campbell and Ms Allwork. Mrs Rumens also teaches all day on Friday’s and Mrs Gale and Mrs Herbert teach on a Wednesday morning up until break.
What we will be learning across the curriculum…
Phonics (letters & sounds) –The children are becoming more confident with ‘Letters and Sounds’. They are practising all the sounds they have already learnt. We are learning trickier words and letter blends. Please display your basic code at home to support your child’s reading and writing.
Reading – Please encourage your child to identify tricky words that they come across in their story books as well as their school reading books. Children should now be working on being able to recall and discuss some of the book content.
Writing – The children are continuing to write simple sentences with some children beginning to write in more detail and independently. We will be focusing on non-fiction writing linked to the topic.
Maths – We are focusing on addition and subtraction but starting to introduce the concept of whole and half. We will be using the words doubling and halving through practical activities.
To find out all about what we will be learning about this half term, and all about school life, please open our current EYFS learning letter.
Home Learning ideas – Encourage independence: Encourage your child to start getting dressed by themselves or enter the classroom without you. We have WOW cheques in school to celebrate what your child does at home… anything from brushing their teeth by themselves – to challenging themselves to do something new.
READING – It is important that your child reads regularly. Please sign their reading record book and if appropriate make a comment. Remember, if a child reads four times at home and it is noted in their reading diary they will get a RALF sticker. Please ensure your child’s reading book is in their book bag and bought to school every day.
WOW cheques – Please collect additional WOW cheques from the WOW board in your child’s class to celebrate what your child does at home… anything from brushing their teeth by themselves – to challenging themselves to do something new.
- Self-registering – Please encourage your child to be more independent and responsible when they arrive at school by saying your goodbyes outside. Learning activities now take place as soon as they arrive and it is important the children settle down to them quickly. Encourage your child to find their picture with their name on it when they arrive in the morning. They self-register by sticking their picture onto a number on the sea-life spaces.
- Book Bags – All letters are placed inside book bags so please check them regularly. If your child does not have a book bag, letters will be paced in their tray.
- Drinks and Fruit – Children have access to water throughout the day and fresh fruit at breaktime.
- Lunches – If your child has a packed lunch, please ensure it contains healthy options. We are nut-free school so please ensure your child’s lunch does not contain any foods that contain nuts, including chocolate spread.
- PE – Will be on Fridays. Please ensure your child has their coloured t-shirt and shorts in school. Please make sure that all school uniform and PE kit is clearly labeled to help with identification. Please ensure your child has their coloured t-shirt and shorts in school on a Monday.
- Reading books – Please ensure your child’s reading book is in their book bag and bought to school every day.
- SUN SAFETY– Please send your child to school with a sun hat, we spend a lot of time outside and we want to protect your children from the sun. Please also apply sun cream before they come to school for added protection.
Please remind your child to bring a coat every day in the winter months.
Please click on the useful links below for extra information about Reception: